Thursday, July 7, 2011

Neal's Yard Remedies Eye Shadow in Camellia

Neal's Yard Remedies Eye Shadows, according to the company are "made with 100% natural mineral colours in super-fine organic corn powder, with antioxidant white tea, milk thistle, and organic sweet almond oil." It is also said to contain no lead, parabens, talc, and is a vegan product. All this sounds very enticing for the organic revolution that has struck the cosmetic industry.
The puny eye shadow range consists of four colors in sage (green), barley (light brown), truffle (dark brown), and camellia (dusky pink). 
First off, the packaging. It is a basic, no-frills type with a plain blue screw-top cover. This comes with a sifter that is not pictured. It's my first time to use shadow in loose powder form, and I find the small jar very inconvenient and frustrating. With the sifter on, it takes some effort to coax the product out and the result is always a mess with powders flying everywhere on the dresser and the cap. I decided to do without the sifter for better product control. Camellia is what I thought would be a neutral pink shade, but turns out to be a tricky color. On my yellow-based Chinese skin, it can look like I am suffering from a sort of allergy. The texture is also quite rough; not silky like most eye shadows I'm used to. I guess this is what gives for the "natural" part of it, but putting on starchy powder on the lids is not something I enjoy. 
Overall, I find the product sub-par, added to the fact that the shade is not flattering at all. Being organic/natural does not give companies leeway to slack off on packaging and quality. I feel there are many other products in the market that deserve your hard-earned money.

No comments:

Post a Comment