Saturday, August 6, 2011

Urban Decay Naked Palette

After reading so many good reviews about Urban Decay's Naked Palette, I knew it was the nude palette worth splurging for. It is one of the more famous UD palettes as it meets many people's needs. Nudes, after all, are the most natural of colors on human skin and would be easy to pair with any look. In fact, I wanted this palette so badly waiting eight months wasn't much of an issue (thanks to S and F again for helping me get this one).
It comes in a plastic cover together with a mini Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion (reviewed here). 
I like the "crushed" eyeshadow images on the back. Each shade is pictured and labeled like that of a magazine spread. Below that the ingredient list can be found.
The case is covered in velvet which feels luxurious but this kind of packaging attracts dirt easily. The lid closes with the help of a magnet. It also comes with a full-sized synthetic eyeshadow brush. It feels very soft and is tapered neatly, but I didn't find much use for it as it made application streaky (given my amateur skills). I prefer different brush cuts for eyeshadow application, such as MAC's 217 and 239. 
The Naked Palette totals one dozen shades. Here they are magnified in three batches. The first four look like light neutrals suitable for day. The palette is a mix-match of matte, satiny, and shimmery finishes.
The second segment comes with four medium to dark shades of neutrals and a grey tone.
The last four are smoky neutrals veering on plum and charcoal. They are more dramatic shades that deliver strong looks or intensifies softer ones. 
This practical box of shadows has all it takes to create any eye makeup look suitable with any outfit, thanks to its mirror, brush, and most importantly, 12 shades of well-thought-of colors. I think one of the reasons for its mass appeal is that it features classic shades which can stand countless fads (all in one palette at that). Each shade is distinct of the other and serves a different purpose. It looks like all skin tones can make use of this palette. The shadows have smooth texture and heavy pigment. Just a light tap of the brush delivers intense color on the lids. If you are looking for a go-to palette which gives bang for your buck, Naked is something worth considering. I can definitely see myself keeping and using mine for years to come.  
Swatches from left to right: first six shades.
Swatches from left to right: last six shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment