Monday, August 1, 2011

Ipsa Pore Less Retouch Powder in 01 Yellow Apricot

Ipsa was my first introduction to Japanese cosmetics. Ten years ago, I remember asking for free samples of Cleansing Clear Foam EX (now replaced by Cleansing Smooth Foam) when my mother hauled her Ipsa stuff from their Sogo counter in Hong Kong. My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed the smooth foamy texture and incredible fresh citrus scent while washing our faces that evening. Little did we know that opening those sachets would be the beginning of a decade-long affair with Shiseido's sister brand. To this day, Ipsa's cleanser is a staple in my regime. I've tried other Ipsa products over the years such as the Time Reset Essence, foundation, lipstick, and some face colors. Overall, none of them impressed me as much as their cleanser. It's still one of my favorite brands to date because I really believe in the brand's quality and also love their understated packaging which is also eye-catching in every way. I don't mind trying more of their products in the future, but would most probably skip the Pore Less Retouch Powder. Below are my thoughts.
This powder is described in the website as:

"A pressed powder that contains two colors in light and dark tones. Provides an excellent effect of minimizing the appearance of pores and produces a finish with a brush. The darker apricot ivory color makes pores less visible and the lighter color with Lively Pearls gives a vitalized look. Perfect for touchup. Instantly restores the initial makeup finish. *The compact is sold separately."

It comes in a square white plastic compact with an interesting circular depression in the center. I really like this kind of design. 
One of the highlights of the packaging is that it is a two-tiered compact. It is neat and hygienic, which are qualities I try to look for in makeup items. The first tier houses the brush applicator. The handle is made of aluminum and is well-made. While the bristles are soft, it didn't apply the powder evenly because of its flat shape. 
The second tier lifts up to reveal a mirror and the powder itself. The mirror gives a true reflection, but then again most good brands do excellent mirrors properly with no distortion of the subject. This powder caught my eye because there are two different shades in one compact. It is made so well the demarcation forms one neat line instead of wobbly ones found in most other products. The left side is supposed to be the "main" pressed powder with pore concealing abilities, while the right side is supposed to "vitalize" or subtly highlight parts of the face. The darker shade didn't conceal any of my unsightly pores, nor did the lighter color provide illumination. It hardly performed the basic functions of a pressed powder. It made my face look dry and dull, but also didn't control oil. I always ended up with a cake-y look with this no matter how light handed I was. Somehow, it just made my face look worse. Honestly I was expecting more from Ipsa, and am extremely disappointed by this product. Hopefully, I would encounter better product from this brand in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment