Two lipsticks belonging to the world's most famous brands caught me by surprise as I usually partake a dubious view on what is considered holy and great by many.
My very first Chanel lipstick (thank you SS) is Rouge Coco in 05 Mademoiselle. Although I remember using a Chanel Hydrabase (?) in a lovely galactic pink shade for my senior prom, courtesy of my sister's bf, little did I know that after x years I would be in possession of an iconic lipstick, and surprisingly I do not regret it. Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited in BG 945 was a gift from my mom's friend and was passed on to me because she didn't like the shade. The packaging of both brands appeals to completely opposite tastes. Chanel is favored by some for its classy, timeless appeal. Shu Uemura is often criticized as looking like cheap cosmetics. I love both equally. Chanel definitely weighs more and therefore feels the more expensive. Its traditional black and gold combination coupled with the famous double C logo, instantly gives its high fashion pedigree away. I guess its appeal lies in the fact that its value is so pronounced and easy to spot. I particularly like the extra "click" sound the cap makes when it is closed shut. Shu Uemura's packaging in my opinion, is just as worthy of praise. To give it its due, it was the first department store cosmetic brand that adopted the concept of clean lines and simplicity. (Now we have other such brands - RMK, another beloved line - comes to mind). It reflects a sort of elegance, and is not lacking in quality at all. There is something seductive about the completely see-through packaging. I dropped my BG 945 once and surprisingly it didn't crack or form blurry patches. The cap and body fell apart and I was able to easily assemble the mechanism back with the lipstick intact. It looks fragile but in fact it is really well-made.
At first glance, the shades look almost identical, belonging to the same rosewood family.
| Above, Chanel Rouge Coco in Mademoiselle swatched once; Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited in BG 945 swatched twice~thrice. |
Swatched on the left, Mademoiselle looks like it has a lot more warm orange undertone. To the right, BG 945 is a lot cooler and pinker. Honestly I would never have pointed out the difference had I not put them side by side on bare skin. I always wondered how they are both similar and yet at the same time not quite so when worn on the lips. Rouge Coco is quite pigmented and has a more velvety texture compared to Rouge Unlimited. The effect is stronger also. As I mentioned before, Japanese lipsticks tend to be sheerer and produce a beautiful watery finish. This is also the case with Rouge Unlimited.
Essentially, both are rosy colors bordering on natural lip tones. Their top-notch textures are a real treat. They are both great for "my lips but better" (MLBB) days because both shades brighten up the skin tone while maintaining a neutral look at the same time.
No comments:
Post a Comment