Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Skinoren Gel (Azelaic Acid)

Azelaic acid has a number of functions cosmetically, most commonly as treatment for acne and rosacea. It is also used to counter pigmentation, and sometimes as hair loss treatment. Different pharmaceutical companies produce azelaic acid in various name brands. This review focuses on Intendis' Skinoren, a 15% gel azelaic acid formulation.
This was prescribed by my dermatologist after I finished with Robaz, which was a stronger medicine for rosacea. Skinoren is supposed to be a maintenance treatment to curb rosacea, because of its ability to reduce inflammation.
It comes in an aluminum tube, typical of Rx products.
The gel is white and has a light cream texture. It requires some rubbing onto the skin surface for it to sink in.
I personally experienced a lot less breakouts since using this product. While this does not take the place of a moisturizer, it functions like a preventive product to keep spots and pimples at bay. I am not sure about it reducing rosacea symptoms, as I still suffer from flushing/redness.
Overall, this is a gem of a product. I consider it a staple in my skincare drawer as it keeps prone-to-breakout skin pimple-free and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment