Monday, February 25, 2013

Jane Iredale PurePressed Base Pressed Mineral Powder in Warm Silk

Since I came across Jane Iredale in makeup school, I have been very curious about the brand. Jane Iredale is known for being the first brand to offer mineral-based cosmetics, touting its popular slogan, "the skin care makeup." Even my dermatologist only recommends this line for my hypersensitive skin.
It usually retails for an arm and a leg, but happily I came across its warehouse sale and got it for a good 40% off. This pressed powder foundation contains 9.9g and offers SPF 20 with UVA and UVB filters. 
The shade matched for me: Warm Silk, which is described as an almost universal shade on their website. 
The sleek, matte gold compact is barely an inch thick. It clasps on and off with the help of a tiny round magnet. The packaging has considerable weight, and while it is marketed as a luxury product, it has an earthy quality that well reflects its "natural" roots. 
The shade up close. I quite like the artful "i."
It comes with a flat puff that is not very useful (not pictured) and a plastic separator. The standard mirror is present. 
The back.
This foundation in particular is popular with The Skin Cancer Foundation.
The ingredients are made up of mineral components, truly a confirmation of their natural origin. I had high hopes for this foundation because of the excellent reviews on Makeupalley. I found that it does not irritate my skin -- meaning no red blotches or breakouts after use. The shade Warm Silk is also a good match for my skin tone. My gripes are probably longer. On its own, without the help of an oil-controlling primer, it does nothing to control the oilies (I was told this pressed type is the one recommended for oily to combination skin). So, be warned, and whip up the primer. It is not the easiest pressed powder foundation to blend on to skin. My only comparisons would be Japanese brands RMK and Lunasol, which are very easy to apply. However, since Jane Iredale PurePressed Base hardly contains any synthetic ingredients, that part can be overlooked. The key is to apply the product little by little, building it up slowly, otherwise piling it all at once leaves a caked up face. It does take a while to build up coverage, but it happens. It also does not have the best pore-concealing abilities, but again, that must be a primer's function.
It is recommended to use a hydration spray to set it.
Instructions on how to apply. 
Jane Iredale's Handi Brush is best paired with this pressed powder foundation, however, it is out of stock in Manila, and I couldn't pin it down in Hong Kong either.
Above is what the Handi Brush looks like. Overall, it is a good mineral powder experience, and I would probably continue using it, but I would not buy again because it can be quite a fuss to use. I would not want to keep brushing product on sensitive skin because it irritates the epidermis further. The finished look it gives is acceptable, but not very exceptional. For its retail price, I would gladly try other brands. 
As they were clearing out most of the products, the kind SA gave me freebies!
Clockwise from left is PurePressed Eyeshadow in Blue Moon, which makes an excellent liner and contour color. It has a very nice texture. The sample loose powder in Radiant is great as a blusher, adding subtle color and contouring the cheek area nicely. I quite like the loose powder texture more than the PurePressed Base. Lipglosses in Blackcurrant and Cosmos -- good color payoff, but I do not like the minty sensation and the sticky texture; the colors are not very flattering on my skin tone, but Cosmos would look great for ivory beauties and Blackcurrant would be phenomenal for dusky ladies. 
Swatches of the above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment